For those of us whose fiscal year follows the calendar year, yesterday marked the end of the first quarter. As we say goodbye to Q1 and hello to Q2, I urge you to invest some time thinking strategically. Make this an opportunity to get out of your day-to-day activities for a few hours and consider what’s truly important. As you do, here’s some food for thought.
- Did you set goals for 2011?
- Have you written them down?
- Are they S.M.A.R.T.? (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely)
- Who is holding you accountable for them?
- What behaviors have changed since 2010 to achieve your goals?
- When will you start?
- Does your team support these goals?
- Have you chosen the right metrics to track?
- Do your chosen metrics clearly connect an action your organization controls with a goal you’ve set?
- Are your metrics clearly defined?
- Have you been asked ‘What’s that mean?’ repeatedly?
- Is it difficult to track your metrics?
- How much effort is expended finding the numbers you need?
- How visible have you kept the metrics?
- Does your team see the value in the the metrics you’ve chosen?
- Are you seeing positive progress?
- Bottom line, are you on track?
What are you going to do about it? Take a look at the turnaround Mark Richman engineered at Skeleton Key. Maybe it’s time to look at Open-Book Management Practices or join us for The Gathering of Games May 4 – 6. Today is a brand new day and brand new quarter. Take advantage of it. Jason Thomas manages Business Development at Skeleton Key. About Skeleton Key Skeleton Key is an accomplished team of technology consultants who solve business problems. We specialize in the rapid development of custom applications, integrating Macs and PCs in the professional workplace, and providing personalized training. Despite our end-to-end technical skills, we are consultant first and technologist second. We know that you don’t just need technology. You need to know that the technology you choose to deploy will provide the results you desire. Skeleton Key is a Platinum Level FileMaker Business Alliance company, an Authorized FileMaker Trainer, a member of the Apple Consultants Network and a Microsoft Registered Partner.